- Judge Dismisses McDaniel Challenge
- America's First Real Post-Cold War President
- Peters Keeps Lead in Michigan Senate Race
- Obama Hints He'll Delay Action in Immigration
- Baker Catches Coakley in New Poll
What Happened When Busing Stopped?
Posted at 5:57 a.m. on Sept. 9, 2013
Retro Report looks back at the struggle over busing in Charlotte, North Carolina,
In 1971, the Supreme Court ordered busing to integrate the schools and though many residents of Charlotte resisted, it ultimately became a model of its success. But because of that success, what happened next provides a clear example of the precarious balance of – and tension among – race, education and equality in America. And of how quickly things can change.