- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
- First Look: Can Democrats Win the Senate in 2016?
- Democrats Lose Candidate and Hope in New York Special Election
- DCCC Announces Final Fundraising, Debt Figures for 2014
- Renee Ellmers May Face Primary Challenge
Winners and Losers of the Defense Bill
Posted at 10:55 a.m. on Dec. 20, 2013
Stars and Stripes summarizes the winners and losers from the defense bill. The highlights:
- Military bases: The final defense bill includes about $1.3 billion more for base operations and maintenance funds than the Defense Department requested.
- Sex assault prosecutions: the bill does include a host of new provisions designed to protect military sex assault victims.
- A-10 enthusiasts: Lawmakers included language blocking any Air Force plans to retire the Warthog.
- Troops’ paychecks: a meager 1% pay raise.
- Medical bill collectors: Congress again rejected Pentagon plans for Tricare fee increases for some military retirees.
- Littoral combat ship: Congress wants more oversight in the embattled ship building program, and will fence off some funding of new ships until the Pentagon undergoes new reviews.