- Franken Maintains Lead in Minnesota
- Senator's Refusal to Resign Changed South Dakota Politics
- Political Ads Flood the Airwaves
- Bonus Quote of the Day
- Rubio Changes Tune on Immigration
What are the Real Obamacare Enrollment Numbers?
Posted at 9:55 a.m. on Jan. 7
Ezra Klein analyzes the claim that Obamacare has signed up nearly 10 million Americans.
According to Klein, the “solid numbers” include:
- 2.1 million people who’ve signed up through the exchanges.
- 3.1 million young adults, under the Obamacare rule requiring insurers to cover dependents up to age 26.
“But the Medicaid numbers [totaling 4.4 million people] are more complex. Each state runs its own count, and the data includes people who enrolled in Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion as well as people who were eligible under prior law. To the Obama administration’s annoyance, some states are also counting people who’re simply renewing existing Medicaid policies.”
In addition, “full December data won’t be released until the middle of January. Assuming Medicaid enrollment shows anything like the December spike that exchange enrollment showed, those numbers could easily send the total here to 13 or 14 million.”