- Hagan Still Up in North Carolina
- Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
- Pataki Again Flirts With White House Bid
- Do We Elect a Governor Who May End Up in Jail?
- Shaheen Leads by Double-Digits in New Hampshire
The Government’s Pizza Policy
Posted at 2:23 p.m. on Feb. 11
Brad Plumer: “The roaring success of pizza isn’t entirely a free-market story. ‘In recent years, [the USDA] has spent many millions of dollars to increase pizza consumption among U.S. children and adults, explains Parke Wilde of Tufts University.'”
“The USDA runs a ‘dairy checkoff program,’ which levies a small fee on milk (15 cents for every hundredweight of milk sold or used in dairy products) and raised some $202 million in 2011. The agency then uses that money to promote products like milk and cheese. And, as it turns out, pizza.”
The losers: fruits and vegetables.